District Goals Established
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." - Leonardo da Vinci
A couple of months ago, the Board, in a work session, developed five goals for the District Leadership Team to work under as we developed our continuous improvement plan. Each of these goals represents a broad expectation with a specific purpose that will allow our District to function at a much higher, yet focused, level as we strive to provide our students with the best educational opportunities possible.
I am excited to have the opportunity to work on the implementation of these goals and I am hopeful that the school and the community will embrace them as well and assist us in our endeavor to be an excellent district for some time to come. Our District Leadership Team has already started the process of integrating these goals into our improvement plan. This plan will be a guide for each Building Leadership Team to follow as they develop their goals to align with the district goals.
The five goals developed are as follows:
- Student Recognition: Academic student recognition programs will be developed in all buildings that demonstrate student academic successes throughout each school year. Successes will be shared through District communications and building displays.
- Data Collection: District decisions will be driven by pertinent and relevant research.
- Communications: Multiple communication strategies will be utilized providing all stakeholders in the district opportunities for increased information-sharing.
- Instruction: All students will receive rigorous and relevant instruction specifically designed for their various levels of academic abilities.
- Financial: The District will remain fiscally responsible and transparent as we promote and support District goals.
If you have had the opportunity to be in the buildings over the last few months, you would see numerous displays of student work in the halls, representing a variety of content areas. If you are a follower of social media, you should be noticing a more frequent presence of information online about what is happening in our buildings. If you have students in the high school, you are aware that we are offering courses that are more closely aligned with college courses and are stretching the intellect of our students to a much deeper level to prepare them for their future after graduation. We are using the data from the report card and district assessments to better serve our students who are struggling or accelerated, with the goal being to meet all learners where they currently are and take them beyond. If you have had the opportunity to attend our monthly Board meetings, you will find vigorous discussion about fiscal needs and responsibilities.
I would encourage everyone in the community to take the time to look closely at the goals, ask yourself how you might be able to assist us in implementing them with fidelity, and be active in the school community environment by offering support to any one, or all, of the buildings as we work to grow our young men and women into productive citizens for the future. It truly does take a village to raise a child and our District goals provide a plan for doing that.
I welcome your feedback as to how you can support us with our goals. My door is open and I am always willing to sit down and talk about supporting students in their academic endeavors for the future.
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” - Pablo Picasso